[FFmpeg-user] problems with vob to mkv

Nicholas Robbins nickrobbins at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 10 14:58:55 CEST 2014

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 4:17 AM, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

>Le duodi 22 thermidor, an CCXXII, Jason Pollard a écrit :
>> I'm running into errors with the following which is causing problems with
>> playback.  Is this indicative of corrupt input?
>
>Yes, in a certain way.
>
>> cat VTS_11_*.VOB | ffmpeg -i - -codec:v libx264 -sn -profile:v high -b:v 1k
>> -maxrate 500k -bufsize 10k -vf scale=-1:720 -s 1280x720 -codec:a ac3 -b:a
>> 128k frozen.mkv
>
>This is not theonl proper way of extracting a title from a DVD-Video structure.
>You get all the menus and strange DVD-specific thingies mixed with the
>actual content you want. That would certainly explain the decoding errors
>below.
>
>mplayer can dump a single VOB file from a DVD title. FFmpeg also has a
>dvd2concat tool to access the structure directly, but it is a bit tricky to
>use.
>
>Regards,
>
>--
>  Nicolas George

You might also want to check out makemkv(con) it is only free like beer not like speech, but I found it works much better than all of the other FOSS solutions I tried. It can produce mkv's that have the original mpeg2 and original audio, which you can then transcode however you want.

-Nicholas Robbins