[FFmpeg-user] Applying filters for selected frames?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Dec 21 19:55:36 CET 2014

Hi Jan,

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 17:52:16 +0100, Jan Sever wrote:
> is it possible to apply filters (-vf) in ffmpeg only for selected frames?

Yes, for certain filters. Check this:
https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#Timeline-editing

Whether a filter supports this doesn't seem to be stated in each
filter's documentation, but I can see this note from yadif:

$ ffmpeg -help filter=yadif
[...]
This filter has support for timeline through the 'enable' option.

> I'm now solving a problem of badly deinterlaced movies, which have
> some parts not deinterlaced while the rest is.

I don't know much about deinterlacing, but I believe to have heard that
some deinterlacing filters cope well with noninterlaced material.
Someone else would need to comment on that.

Moritz