[FFmpeg-user] Applying filters for selected frames? [SOLVED]

Nicholas Robbins nickrobbins at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 21 23:16:38 CET 2014

> On Sunday, December 21, 2014 4:35 PM, Jan Sever <n32 at email.cz> wrote:

> > On 12/21/2014 8:53 PM, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
>>  My bad, thanks for the clarification.
> You needn't apologize at all, your help is very notable.
>
>>  I think I had this thread in the back of my mind:
>>  http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2014-May/021412.html
>>
>>  which introduces use of the idet filter to detect interlacing (type).
> Wow, I didn't know about this: it solves my problem even much more better.
>
>>  So Jan (the OP) will have to check what applies to his material.
> Timeline-editing is exactly what I asked for, but you wrote me about even
> better solution (previous note).
>
> So in other words both solutions are excellent but the first is better ;-),
> marking as SOLVED. Many thanks to everybody, you solved the problem faster
> than very quickly.
>
> Jan Sever
>
> P.S. Sorry for keeping you waiting so long for my answer, I had to unmask
> newer version of ffmpeg first (in Gentoo ffmpeg-2 is still marked as
> unstable), recompile it and test both solutions (I didn't have a usable
> mixed
> record with both progressive and interlaced frames /big compression prevented
> from detection of interlacing/, so I made it from two).

That was my original thread. I've worked through various combination of interlaced, progressive, telecined, filmrate, etc. I've worked out various ffmpeg settings that work for most of these situations. Post if you have one that you are not happy with (for mixed progressive interlaced, I use

-vf idet,yadif=mode=1:deint=interlaced,fps=fps=60000/1001

and that has worked. You can remove the fps filter at the end if you don't care about producing CFR video.

-Nick