[FFmpeg-user] LLossless (10 Bit RGB 444) and (10 Bit YUV 422) Compression

Jason Freets jasonslife at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 23:40:51 CET 2014

> Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-user] LLossless (10 Bit RGB 444) and (10 Bit YUV 422)	Compression

> > > I unfortunately did not understand your answer
> > > (I am not a native English speaker.)
> >
> > Ok, good to know. My guess is probably Austria?
>
> Yes, you are correct.

Well, you are doing fine =)

> > > Does the output file play on Windows with the
> > > AJA codec installed?
> >
> > Yes it does!
>
> Thank you for testing.

No problem! And thanks for your support and help with this too. We did it together.

> > So great job! =)
>
> This was not something I fixed, I was just curious
> if the files play: I am not sure if it was ever
> tested (likely not).

Yes, the file does play. Your fix works.

> (And this of course makes me wonder if my question
> above was maybe unclear: Was it unclear and you
> just wanted to confirm that your two files that
> you uploaded for me and other files that you have
> play fine with FFplay but didn't before?)

No, you were not unclear. The 2 files I uploaded were created by the AJA codec. Before your fix, only the r10k (Little Endian) file did not play. The R10K (Big Endian) always did play fine (before and after your fix). With your new fix, now the r10k (Little Endian) also now plays correctly using FFmpeg.

> > Your fix now can play r10k (Little Endian) files
> > in Windows on a PC using the AJA Codec.
>
> This may be a misunderstanding:
> My fix allows you to play r10k files (with small
> "r") on Linux (and Windows) with FFmpeg (and
> MPlayer and vlc).

Correct, it does for both Linux and Windows. I tried your fix on both Windows and Linux.

> > With your fix in FFmpeg, I can now take the r10k
> > (little endian) lossless video and convert it to
> > FFV1 (lossless): I call that "r10kToFFV.avi).
>
> Yes, this is correct.

Yes, agreed. So we now have r10k (Little Endian) -> to FFV1 working. Although, my point is I don't have a way to prove that converting it to FFV1 works correctly. If I can convert from r10k -> to FFV1 -> back to r10k, then I would have a way to validate the conversion process.

> > However, there is an issue with converting the
> > FFV1 back to the original r10k (little endian)
> > format:
>
> This format is not supported by FFmpeg: You can
> only write R10k (with capital "R").

This is what I am now trying to understand. You are saying that FFmpeg can only write R10k (Big Endian). So the question I have is if there will be a fix put in place to have FFmpeg write r10k (Little Endian)? Too hard to do? Or?

Cheers,

Jason