[FFmpeg-user] Levels and Primaries

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Mon Feb 3 16:11:57 CET 2014

Hi Rio,

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Rio Kierkels <riokierkels at gmail.com> wrote:

> MXF ffprobe output<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9hzJJkCcuUrUkw2WWhyWUg1OVE/edit?usp=sharing>).
> In the preset there is an option set that scales the levels down to "legal"
> range. Again the first thing that I notice is that this MXF file does show
> yuv422p(tv, bt709), something that the ffmpeg generated file doesn't show.

what I would check here, is if there are obvious MXF container
metadata differences between the file output by ffmpeg and the one
created by Episode. A good OSS tool for that is mxf2raw from the bmx
project (http://sourceforge.net/projects/bmxlib/). That's what I
usually do if I have the suspicion that the ffmpeg MXF muxer is
lacking something. If this is just a case of a metadata field not
being set at all or not being set correctly, it should be easy to fix
for someone who knows the mxf muxer code.

Thanks for diving into this so systematically. Much appreciated! This
is a very important topic indeed.