[FFmpeg-user] x11grab + ffserver live x264 stream

Magnus magnus at magnusjason.com
Tue Feb 11 13:17:28 CET 2014

Been struggling with this for a few days.

I am trying to figure out how to stream an X session(or windows dshow)
 to ffserver and provide the stream over HTTP or RTSP encoded as
h.264.
My end goal is to stream video/audio to multiple raspberry pis while
taking advantage of its h.264 acceleration.

At the moment i'm not too worried about audio or even the RPi, as I
cant even get video to play via ffserver and VLC.

I am running Ubuntu 13.10 with Jon Severinsson's ffmpeg
packages.(https://launchpad.net/~jon-severinsson/+archive/ffmpeg)
ffmpeg version 0.10.11-7:0.10.11-1~saucy1
built on Feb  6 2014 16:55:15 with gcc 4.8.1

I have also tried using a windows client running:
ffmpeg version N-60393-g9707b53
built on Feb  6 2014 22:07:13 with gcc 4.8.2 (GCC)

I have tried a whole bunch of different configurations, at the moment
this is what im trying based off the demo config file:
ffserver command:
ffserver -f ffserver.conf -d
conf file -> http://pastebin.com/zpthqrJR

ffmpeg command:
ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 25 -s 1024x768 -i :0 -preset medium
http://localhost:8090/feed1.ffm
output - > http://pastebin.com/PyWLPZAz

It returns an error about using -vpre, but everything I read says that
-vpre is depreacted and to use -preset instead.