[FFmpeg-user] Levels and Primaries

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 16:43:57 CET 2014

Rio Kierkels wrote:

> http://www.fourcc.org/fccyvrgb.php and my new and shiny book Digital
> Video and HD by Charles Poynton The scaling is a standard thing in
> the conversion. The only difference being the way Y' is weighted
> according to BT.601 or BT.709 standards.
>
> I am learning a lot here so I hope people keep giving different views
> on the matter!

Ahh, Poynton, coincidently I had a look at that book after wondering
elsewhere in this thread what 709 RGB was. So at least thanks to him I
now know that 709 RGB (well R'G'B') is the same primaries as sRGB, but
annoyingly not quite the same WRT the expected gamma of the display.

I guess the difference 2.4 vs 2.2 is small enough not to be noticeable
between watching on a TV and computer (both of which are adjustable anyway).