[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg playback of unusual MPEG-4 layer 2 format video

Ed Torbett ed.torbett at simulation-systems.co.uk
Fri Feb 14 17:08:00 CET 2014

> Could you confirm that you can feed the exact file you
> uploaded to the Siemens client and it decodes without
> artefacts?

I can't confirm that as the Siemens client doesn't play static files, only network streams from the DVR. That's why I included the wireshark trace, as that's the exact stream received from the DVR.

On Monday I may be able to write a fake DVR server that takes a raw mpeg-4 file and transmits it to the Siemens client in order to prove that the stream works on the Siemens client.

As an additional note, if I dump the wireshark trace to raw packets, strip off the first 480 bytes (which are unrelated handshaking as far as I can tell) and pass it to ffmpeg, I get exactly the same result. However, there is some additional encapsulation around each frame that should be stripped out, although ffmpeg is capable of ignoring it.

Regards,
Ed

--
Edward Torbett