[FFmpeg-user] I'm playing audio on my Linux PC from the WWW. Can I record it to a file with ffmpeg?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Jan 2 12:40:33 CET 2014

James Board <jpboard2 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> > > Can ffmpeg do this?
> >
> > FFmpeg can record from alsa, oss, jack and pulse (and
> > this is of course documented).

> can you please show me where it's documented

http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-devices.html
Where did you search?

> ffmpeg -f alsa -i hw:0,2 alsaout.wav
> ffmpeg version 0.8.9-4:0.8.9-0ubuntu0.12.04.1

This is not FFmpeg but an intentionally broken version
with several hundred known bugs not present in FFmpeg,
some of them security-relevant. Please understand that
we therefore cannot support it here, see
http://ffmpeg.org/download.html for supported versions.
(Do NOT use the PPA, it is horribly outdated.)

Carl Eugen