[FFmpeg-user] Reversing PAL->NTSC telecining.

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Jan 5 17:47:44 CET 2014

Nicholas Robbins <nickrobbins <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> The video contains a pattern of 3 progressive and 3 interlaced
> frames. If we think of fields it is something like this:
>
> ZA AA BB CC CD DE EF
>
> Where Z is from the previous batch of 5 original frames and F
> is from the next. This turns 5 frames into 6. Hence it was
> used to convert from PAL (~25fps) to NTSC (~30fps.)

> How do I undo this?

Both the fieldmatch and the pullup filter were generally able
to inverse telecine such a sample.
Note that if the video was deinterlaced before telecined (that
is the case for the one sample I tested so far), results will
not be perfect, it is possible that the fieldmatch filter
produces worse results in such a case.
(It is generally assumed to be a generation ahead of the pullup
filter although I still didn't see a sample that shows this.)

Carl Eugen