[FFmpeg-user] Reversing PAL->NTSC telecining.

Nicholas Robbins nickrobbins at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 5 18:16:16 CET 2014

> On Sunday, January 5, 2014 11:48 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> > Nicholas Robbins <nickrobbins <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>  The video contains a pattern of 3 progressive and 3 interlaced
>>  frames. If we think of fields it is something like this:
>>
>>  ZA AA BB CC CD DE EF
>>
>>  Where Z is from the previous batch of 5 original frames and F
>>  is from the next. This turns 5 frames into 6. Hence it was
>>  used to convert from PAL (~25fps) to NTSC (~30fps.)
>
>>  How do I undo this?
>
> Both the fieldmatch and the pullup filter were generally able
> to inverse telecine such a sample.
> Note that if the video was deinterlaced before telecined (that
> is the case for the one sample I tested so far), results will
> not be perfect, it is possible that the fieldmatch filter
> produces worse results in such a case.
> (It is generally assumed to be a generation ahead of the pullup
> filter although I still didn't see a sample that shows this.)
>
> Carl Eugen

Thanks for the quick reply. Should I add decimate to the end? If it drops every 5th frame, it won't be doing the right thing, or will decimate=cycle=6 do what I want? Perhaps mpdecimate? Here is my first guess:

-vf "fps=fps=30000/1001,fieldmatch,decimate=6,yadif=deint=interlaced"

Is this what I should try?

If you recall, something about how mplayer dumps its vobs labels them as ~60fps, when they are really ~30.

-Nick