[FFmpeg-user] Impossile to convert pure audio files to LPCM (S16BE)

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Jan 17 02:33:50 CET 2014

 <pperroux <at> free.fr> writes:

> I need to convert audio FLAC files to LPCM with FFmpeg

Do you have a file of the kind you want to encode?
("LPCM" does not make much sense to me.)

A few comments:
As explained, "-f s16be" produces raw PCM ("LPCM"?), it
is not something that can be auto-detected, you need to
specify it on decoding together with channels and sample
rate:
$ ffmpeg -i input -f s16be out.raw
$ ffmpeg -f s16be -ac 2 -ar 48k -i out.raw
flv files may contain s16le and u8.
Adobe also allows s16be in flv, but the specification
requests that playback only works on big-endian hardware,
the workaround is to specify the decoder explicitely:
$ ffmpeg -i input -acodec s16be out.flv
$ ffmpeg -acodec s16be -i out.flv
(or run ffmpeg -i out.flv on big-endian hardware.)

Carl Eugen