[FFmpeg-user] Objectively best deinterlacer?

Leo Izen leo.izen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 16:59:31 CET 2014

On 01/22/2014 05:33 AM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On 1/22/14, Leo Izen <leo.izen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> -filter:v 'w3fdif,select=outputs=2:expr=mod(n\,2)+1,blend'
>
> This does nothing as blend with no options returns first input.

I tried using blend=all_expr=0.5*(A+B) and the results looked much
better, but now it encoded at an annoying 7 fps (and this is mostly
filter overhead; I was encoding to ffv1 which is superfast)

On 01/22/2014 10:00 AM, Phil Rhodes wrote:
 > I've used Yadif with great success, including critical things like
camera originals shot interlaced which were needed as progressive.

 > I'm not sure what techniques it uses, but I suspect it uses some
adaptive stuff to avoid blurring stationary objects.

 > I would say it is subjectively as good as some of the expensive boxes
that do deinterlacing.

Compared with w3fdif + blend, I looked at yadif and decided that it was
sharper (and also filtered 3x faster). I haven't done much blind
comparison to -filter:v pp=fd though (AFAIK this one was the traditional
filter used with -deinterlace). I'll have to do more subjective tests.