[FFmpeg-user] Best CPU for ffmpeg

Henk D. Schoneveld belcampo at zonnet.nl
Thu Jan 30 11:24:01 CET 2014

On 30 Jan 2014, at 10:44, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Henk D. Schoneveld <belcampo <at> zonnet.nl> writes:
>
>> The 2500K does 19fps single threaded 31fps 2threads
>> and 51fps 4threads
>
> The relevant question is now:
> What is the overall cpu usage for -threads 4 (and 51 fps) -
> compared to the 25% usage you get for 19fps?
a 1000 frames test gives 340 - 360 % CPU usage
while a threads 1 gives 130% CPU usage. Threads 1 doesn’t really mimic a 1 Core CPU, the encoding is at 1 Core but decoding and scaling, as in my short test, is done on another core.
What the relevant question is/should/could be depends.
Encode the:
fastest single file
most frames from multiple files
lowest used energy
lowest cost per encoded frame ?
In case of the G1610 vs. i5-2500K the CPU cost per frame encoding performance is about 200% according to http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_value_available.html
For comparison I replaced the i5-2500K which was expensive with the Xeon E3-1220 which has about the same performance but is much cheaper.