[FFmpeg-user] Best CPU for ffmpeg

Henk D. Schoneveld belcampo at zonnet.nl
Thu Jan 30 11:40:51 CET 2014

On 30 Jan 2014, at 11:28, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Henk D. Schoneveld <belcampo <at> zonnet.nl> writes:
>
>> a 1000 frames test gives 340 - 360 % CPU usage
>
> (Is that really enough?)
I don’t know what you’re asking here.

>> while a threads 1 gives 130% CPU usage. Threads 1
>> doesn’t really mimic a 1 Core CPU, the encoding is
>> at 1 Core but decoding and scaling, as in my short
>> test, is done on another core.
>
> What was your command line?
ffmpeg -y -i UntamedBritain.mp4 -t 40 -an -c:v libx264 -crf 22 -threads 1 -g 50 -s 880x720 ~/Desktop/1.mp4
Source is interlaced dvb-s 1080i. Although I didn’t use a deinterlace filter it shows as proper progressive.
I just tested 4 instances of the same command and get 4 x 14fps = 56fps with ~ 392% CPU usage

?