[FFmpeg-user] unable to include drawtext filter + possible fix

David Favor david at davidfavor.com
Thu Jan 30 19:19:37 CET 2014

There is currently a problem with ffmpeg + freetype2, as the
directory hierarchy for freetype2 has changed.

I'll reference paths as they occur in MacPorts + how I handle
this in my daily build script.

Old style - /opt/local/include/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h
New style - /opt/local/include/freetype2/freetype.h

And ffmpeg's config file expects the old style...

Since I build on machines with both old + new style, I just
manually set a symlink to fix the problem.

Here's a snippet from my build script that explains the fix
I use. If you're only building on one type of system, you
can just manually generate the symlink by hand.

# info: freetype2 installed, according to pkg-config
I use pkg-config to determine if all the required freetype2
installation cruft is available.

# info: /opt/local/include/freetype2/freetype.h exists, so we're using the new directory structure
This says very recent version of freetype2 is installed,
which is using the new style directory structure.

# info: configure suggests ffmpeg expects old directory structure, so symlink /opt/local/include/freetype2
This says ffmpeg's configure only handles old style freetype2 directory structure,
so setup a symlink to allow new freetype2 install to be sensed by ffmpeg's configure.

ln -sf /opt/local/include/freetype2 /opt/local/include/freetype2/freetype

Hopefully this makes sense.