[FFmpeg-user] live link in a video?

Hans Georg Schaathun georg+ffmpeg at schaathun.net
Mon Jul 7 20:21:05 CEST 2014

On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 06:34:03PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> But all of that is not exactly what you want, according to
> your description.  The only thing that comes close is the way
> Youtube (and some other online video sites) embed links into
> their videos, but these only work with Youtube's own player.
> I don't think that there is any generic video software that
> supports this.  ffmpeg certainly does not.

It depends on how you want to define «generic video software».
With HTML5, any web browser is video software, and it is pretty
generic too.  :-)

I am not sure how to do it with HTML5; for all that I know it could
be pretty ugly, but I feel confident it can be done rather generically.

It would be real multimedia --- with at least one more medium on
top of video -- thus out of scope for ffmpeg, which is just a bimedia
tool (sound and picture).

There are obviously many good reasons why live links should be
out of scope.  There are enough signal processing challenges
involved in video and audio coding, and ffmpeg is an excellent
tool by handling those challenges so flexibly and generically.
Lumping the tool down with features from a totally different
domain is a sure way to make a tool which is less flexible
and harder to use.

--
:-- Hans Georg