[FFmpeg-user] Possibility to dump AVCodecContext, AVFormatContext fields for a command line?

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Fri Jul 18 17:42:15 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Robert Krüger <krueger <at> lesspain.de> writes:
>
>> is there any way to see the AVCodecContext, AVFormatContext fields
>> used for a given command line other than using a debugger? Maybe a
>> compile flag of some sort?
>
> It is currently not easily possible but could you explain your
> usecase?
> This would make a patch more likely imo.

The use case is simply when working with the api doing encoding/muxing
and running into a problem in many cases the key is some field value
in one of those contexts not being set correctly, where correctly is
not always obvious (see the posting on libav-user yesterday where you
helped me). Simulating a similar encoding/muxing using an ffmpeg
command line is the first thing I do to see if it should generally
work. If that is the case, looking at the context fields helps a lot.
I used to fire up a gcc/gdb based tool for that but that stopped to
work on my platform now. Probably not a typical ffmpeg user use case.
If there is no way currently then I will just have to get familiar
with the standard debugging tools. I just thought I'd ask before I do
that.

Robert