[FFmpeg-user] "RTP: dropping old packet received too late" after restarting RTP stream

Spam Spamtrap spamtrap00001 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 02:32:31 CEST 2014

I'm trying to stream an JPEG-image (updated once a second by a program) via
RTP under Windows 7.

This is the line I use to create the stream:
ffmpeg.exe -f image2 -r 1 -re -loop 1 -i capture.jpg -an -c:v mpeg2video -r
1 -f rtp rtp://localhost:1234
This works and I can watch the stream updating whenever the image file is
updated, for example with VLC or this command:
ffplay.exe rtp://localhost:1234

But if I stop the stream and restart it (without restarting the player, be
it VLC or ffplay), I get continous messages like that at the ffplay console:
[mpeg2video @ 045aa060] RTP: dropping old packet received too late
    Last message repeated 7 times

The video is no longer updating at all. As soon as I restart the player the
video is live again.

To me it seems the player thinks it's way out of sync and drops all the
frames. What can I do to send a reset to the players? Or to make the
players ignore the old package error? I'm mainly talking about VLC here,
because that's what I want to use. Sinc VLC is using ffmpeg to decode
anyway, so it should be the same solution for ffplay and VLC I hope.