[FFmpeg-user] Reg: CPU Usage Issue

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 23 15:20:26 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 8:45 AM, subeesh.babu
<subeesh.babu at industeqsite.com> wrote:
> Any one suggest how to reduce the CPU usage .

I thought I'd collate all the advice you have been given so far in to
one list, so that when you re-post asking the same thing again without
having tried any of them, people can see the whole list of things that
you've ignored.

1) Use an up to date ffmpeg, it might fix things, and it is the only
version supported on this list
2) Show your complete command line and uncut output
3) Don't encode the content on the slow CPU, simply copy it with -c copy
4) Use a different encoder, eg MPEG-2 or libx264
5) Tune your encoder, eg libx264 can produce the same quality with a
low bitrate and a high bitrate, producing it with a low bitrate is
slower since it needs to do more work. Control it with -preset.

Cheers

Tom