[FFmpeg-user] Concatenated H.264 or H.265 might not play correctly.drop=#

Luke Davis l1 at newanswertech.com
Thu Jul 24 19:59:19 CEST 2014

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014, Nicolas George wrote:

> Le quintidi 5 thermidor, an CCXXII, Luke Davis a écrit :
>> Any idea _why_ they might be dropped?
>
> The "drop=" statistics corresponds to frames that were dropped to
> accommodate the output frame rate. With the segment muxer, ffmpeg
> automatically selects CFR mode, and with your video, it guesses 14.99 as the
> frame rate. If your input actually has more frames than that, they are
> dropped.

Well, it has 15.  At least, that is what it is set to.  It is quicktime
broadcaster, and I have never read anywhere that its 15 FPS is actually 14.99,
so it should be the 15 that it claims.

  > Remember that each frame has a timestamp. I urge you to compare your input
> and output, match the images together and see what happens to the
> timestamps.

I'm not at the moment certain how to do that, but I will try to find a way.  I
haven't been able to reproduce this when converting a .mov file to MPEGTS
segments, only when taking input from the network.  But I am not sure that I
have tried it with a mov produced by the same software.

Luke