[FFmpeg-user] How to use drawtext to overlay dynamic text

Zack Thevenot zack924 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 22:18:14 CEST 2014

Not sure how to quote properly with Yahoo, I'll just do it manually for now

> I'm not sure why this command did not work, but I only looked very
> briefly. Can you provide sub.srt file? I'll try to take a closer look
> later.

I attached the subtitle files I was testing with

> MP4 is generally a poor choice for softsubs. AFAIK, MP4 only officially
> supports MPEG-4 Timed Text, but I think you could try using "-c:s
> mov_text" in ffmpeg for 3GPP Timed Text which may actually be the same
> or similar enough. I don't know; it's confusing.

My resulting file type doesn't really matter at all, whatever is best I'll use.  What is the codec I should use? My input files will be either .h264 and .mp4 files encoded in H264