[FFmpeg-user] lutyuv filter clipping luma

Paulo Barretto pmbarretto at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 20:39:43 CEST 2014

> That should be expected behavior for some pixel formats.
> Only yuvJ and rgb ones are not having such behavior.

For all the videos I have, from different cameras, ffprobe tells format is
yuv420p, and histogram shows full range luma.
When I pass them through lutyuv filter, clipping causes a noticeable loss
of contrast and detail in extreme shadow and highlight.

I've tried do use format=pix_fmts=yuvj420p before lutyuv, but I got a lot
of messages like:
[swscaler @ 04ab4060] deprecated pixel format used, make sure you did set
range correctly

If I convert my videos to rgb, use lutrgb and them convert them back to
yuv, will there be a loss of quality?
Is there an alternative to lutyuv, for adjusting y, u and v?