[FFmpeg-user] chapter mark on MP4: ffmpeg produces it in which flavour?

Weiwu Zhang zhangweiwu at realss.com
Sat Jun 14 05:54:52 CEST 2014

> if I load a custom metadata file with chapters in it, using metadata muxer
> and output a .mp4 file, what do I get?
>
> 1. I get the .mp4 file like that would be produced with QuickTime
> 2. I get the .mp4 file like that would be produced with Nero Digital

Inspecting with mp4chaps, it turns out the chapter mark produced by
ffmpeg for mp4 files are of Nero format. It is easy to convert it to
quicktime format with mp4chaps, often found in mp4v2-utils package.

> And more interesting would be: what kind of chapter marks are supported
> natively by Android/iOS, since which version? A serious content producer
> would want to measure it to tailer the file he produces.

The quicktime chapter format is recognized in iOS 7 if it is
categorized as "Movie" instead of "Home Video". This is a very unusual
case, where categorization decided whether or not chapter marks are
ignored.

For Android, neither chapter mark formats are natively supported.
Simple players App like "Simple Cinema" can use Nero format. It may be
able to use Quitcktime format too, against which I haven't tested.