[FFmpeg-user] converting .mov(MJPEG) to web optimized .mp4(h264)

Patrick Fischer patrick.fischer at vitec.com
Mon Jun 30 11:36:02 CEST 2014

Im not sure but maybe you need to move the index to the begin of the file.

"-movflags faststart"

The mov/mp4/ismv muxer supports fragmentation. Normally, a MOV/MP4 file
has all the metadata about all packets stored in one location (written
at the end of the file, it can be moved to the start for better playback
by adding faststart to the movflags, or using the |qt-faststart| tool).
A fragmented file consists of a number of fragments, where packets and
metadata about these packets are stored together. Writing a fragmented
file has the advantage that the file is decodable even if the writing is
interrupted (while a normal MOV/MP4 is undecodable if it is not properly
finished), and it requires less memory when writing very long files
(since writing normal MOV/MP4 files stores info about every single
packet in memory until the file is closed). The downside is that it is
less compatible with other applications.

Regards
Patrick

Am 30.06.2014 11:30, schrieb Amila Perera:
> .mp4 conversion is successful. The file plays quite well on VLC.
> But it doesn't play as html5 video on browser, when served through apache.
> The same file when converted through HandBrake can be played as html5 video
> on browser without any problem.
>

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
>
>> Amila Perera <perera.amila <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I need to convert .mov(MJPEG) to .mp4(h264) so that the
>>> .mp4 file can be viewed as html5 video.
>>> Starting from the simplest form
>>> "ffmpeg -i 1.mov -vcodec libx264 1.mp4", I tried several
>>> other commands but none of them worked for me.
>> Complete, uncut console output missing / what didn't work
>> for you?
>>
>> Carl Eugen

*Patrick Fischer*
Software Developer
VITEC

T. +49-(0)4307-8358-0
E. patrick.fischer at vitec.com <mailto:patrick.fischer at vitec.com>
W. http://www.vitec.com

--
VITEC GmbH, Lise-Meitner Str. 15, 24223 Schwentinental
Geschäftsführer/Managing Director: Norman Schlomka