[FFmpeg-user] Installation problems

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Mar 11 14:36:04 CET 2014

Am 11.03.2014 14:18, schrieb Pál Levente:
> I used this tutorial to install ffmpeg
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/UbuntuCompilationGuide
> And after I finished it's work (when I type "ffmpeg", It went to a menu).
> But if I type "sudo apt-cache policy ffmpeg" the terminal said it is not
> installed. And when I open an other terminal and type ffmpeg terminal said
> command not found. (and of course sudo apt-cache policy ffmpeg said it too)
> I asked something like this before here and i got an answer:
> "if you only type "ffmpeg" the binary needs to be in your PATH
> echo $PATH shows where the system seeks for binaries"
> But I not really get it what should I do.
> So can somebody help me?
> Sorry for my english

"sudo apt-cache policy ffmpeg" can't say anything because "UbuntuCompilationGuide"
does not work with apt at all

> "if you only type "ffmpeg" the binary needs to be in your PATH
> echo $PATH shows where the system seeks for binaries"
> But I not really get it what should I do

post the output of "echo $PATH" would be a good start

read https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/UbuntuCompilationGuide again
./configure --prefix="$HOME/ffmpeg_build" says that the result
will be installed in your userhome below the folder "ffmpeg_build"

so you need to add the folder with the ffmpeg binary to your
PATH variable, type the full-qualified-URL to the binary or
install it somewhere inside the existing $PATH

normally /usr/local/ exists for that, /usr/local/bin should
already be in $PATH and so the instructions are pretty dumb