[FFmpeg-user] FFMpeg release schedule

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Mar 19 10:21:48 CET 2014

Hi Shyam,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 23:55:48 +0530, Shyam Sundar wrote:

I can't answer your original question:

> I was wondering if it is possible to know the release cycle of FFMpeg of
> next few months.

But:

> I wanted to consume latest major release, i.e. 2.1, but it is already 5
> months old. If another major release is going to come in near future, I can
> wait till then.

On this list, it is always recommended to use git head, and no
particular reason seen not to do so. IIUC, releases are for
distributions which wish to maintain a stable API (or something like
that, don't quote me on it).

That said, if you really want a new major release: releases are being
made, and in your particular case, the tags in git hint that a 2.2
release is soon to come, here's a recent release candidate:

http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=tags
> 4 days ago	n2.2-rc2	FFmpeg 2.2-rc2

Changes seen here:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=blob;f=Changelog;h=fe2f052bed1d3a5339095f2af2dbb858d0f05754;hb=6ba07e9948d5c9bcb7a0f270f150fbb2f99074e1