[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg licensing query

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Mar 26 09:24:59 CET 2014

tarun singhal <tsinghal18 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> From What I understand as per legal info provided by
> website, FFmpeg is based on LGPL,

This is (at least) not wrong.

> But what if I have cross-compiled ffmpeg on my own

> (without doing any changes in code)

Just because you have mentioned it and just because
there seem to be a common misunderstanding:
It makes no difference if you changed anything or not.
You are allowed to make changes, but no matter if you
changed the code or not, your obligations if you want
to comply with the (L)GPL are the same.

> and have enabled GPL.

Then you have to comply with everything that the GPL
requests. Note that - apart from the liability
exclusion - the GPL only applies if you distribute
binary software that is based on FFmpeg code.
So if you do not plan to distribute software binaries,
you only have to agree with the nonwarranty clause to
comply with the GPL.

Carl Eugen