[FFmpeg-user] Building ffmpeg with mingw/msys

Jeremy Greene jeremy at ZeeVee.Com
Mon May 5 00:33:05 CEST 2014

Hi,

I was able to build ffmpeg with mingw/minsys a year or so ago, but with my new laptop, have had no success after hours of trying.

First, I did the mingw(32)/msys. That basically worked except that I couldn’t build lib264 due to a bug (no working C compiler) that people seemed to think was solved by using mingw-w64. So I’ve been trying to do that, but wow… what a random set of results.

First, there seems to be so many ways to get it… but in following the steps from the ffmpeg web site
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/MinGW
Leaves me totally baffled since the concept of “mingw/msys” seems to only exist on that page. If I follow the link that is shown to supposedly get “mingw/msys”, it goes to
http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/download.php
Which only install mingw-w64. No msys in sight.

So, then I found this other page… which says to get msys I download the following:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/platform.html#Native-Windows-compilation-using-MinGW-or-MinGW_002dw64
So, I download msys, and then as the web page says, I check to see if msys/bin/bash exists… and it does not.
Whether that is the cause for the  very next step on the web page (/msys/msys.bat) to fail is anyone’s guess.

Anyway… has anyone really done this recently and if so, could they, with huge appreciation on my part, help me?!?

Jeremy