[FFmpeg-user] Detect interlaced video

Oliver Fromme oliver at fromme.com
Tue May 13 22:20:34 CEST 2014

Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme <oliver <at> fromme.com> writes:
 >
 > > Actually I had hoped that there is a flag somewhere
 > > on the DVD, either in the meta data or in the MPEG2
 > > stream itself, indicating whether a title is
 > > interlaced or progressive.
 >
 > The flag tells you if the stream was encoded using
 > mpeg2video interlaced or mpeg2video progressive, but
 > to decide whether or mot to deinterlace a video, only
 > the actual content is relevant: Progressive content
 > is often encoded as interlaced and it is of course
 > possible (although unlikely) that interlaced content
 > is encoded using progressive frames.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.  So I will just use the
idet filter to determine whether deinterlacing is required.

By the way, does it hurt to use the yadif filter on frames
that are not interlaced?

I came across an old DVD once that contained titles that
consisted of some scenes that were interlaced and some that
were not.  I ran yadif over the complete titles, and I
think it didn't hurt the non-interlaced scenes, but I'm
not 100% certain.  If it _does_ hurt, what is the best way
to handle such mixed material?

Best regards
   Oliver