[FFmpeg-user] Using ffplay to play a video during creation

Zack Thevenot zack924 at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 22:53:16 CEST 2014

I am using ffplay to essentially stream a video from another device.  I have the device continually creating a H264 video file and transmitting it to a PC in 2KB packets, and ffplay is playing it on the fly, even as the file is being appended to.  What I would like to do is make this process cleaner on ffplay.  Every so often, from what I can tell, ffplay tries to play an incomplete frame and the video grays out or blurs.  Is there a way I can tell ffplay to pause at the last good frame? Or to play/continue playing only when there are good frames yet to play? Or maybe something else is going on?

I would just like to know if cleaning up my stream is possible through ffplay rather than my input.  If I do have to process my input further, I'm not very familiar with H264 format and could use some resources.