[FFmpeg-user] Creating ffv1 full-range and broadcast-range files

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Wed May 14 10:01:22 CEST 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 7:59 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Robert Krüger <krueger <at> lesspain.de> writes:
>
>> would you say, submitting a patch that just adds this
>> pixel format instead of replacing AV_PIX_FMT_YUV420P
>> makes sense?
>
> Do you already know how the encoder can signal to the
> decoder that full range was encoded?

No, I just assumed that since the MD5s of the decoded ffv1 frames were
identical with that of the original mjpeg full-range material that I
used for the test, that it does work in some way but thinking about
it, you're right. Since I just replaced YUV420P with YUVJ420P this is
no proof it would work if both were supported. At first glance I don't
see anything in the spec either.