[FFmpeg-user] Install issues - old version still shows up

Pete Helgren pete at valadd.com
Wed May 21 19:04:21 CEST 2014

I followed the compile and installation instructions I found here:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Centos. All went well even
though my Linux skills are pretty limited. But when I went to run ffmpeg
from the command line, the old version still runs rather than the new.
Reading back through the instructions, I see that the instructions say
that they will produce a " local, non-system installation of FFmpeg".  I
am guessing that the older version that is installed is a "system"
installation because I see the binaries in /usr/local/bin and the
libraries in /usr/lib64.  Following the instructions I find those NEW
binaries in /root/bin and the libraries in /root/ffmpeg_build/lib.  My
goal was (is) to replace that old version with the latest version.

So, the question is: Is there an easy way to recover ?  That is, is
there a way that the existing binaries in /root/bin can be moved to
/usr/local/bin and libraries in /root/ffmpeg_build/lib can be moved to
/usr/lib.  What about the libraries that are in /usr/lib64? Should I
remove them?  As an alternative, is there a way to completely remove all
of the ffmpeg installed binaries and libraries and then redo the compile
and install steps so everything will be back in sync?

My lack of Linux skills and understanding the underlying concepts has
led to a bit of a mess.  Can someone give me some pointers on how to
clean it up?

Thanks.

--
Pete Helgren