[FFmpeg-user] what's the standard way to concat and re-encode VOB's?

Steve Boyer steveboyer85 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 20:02:59 CEST 2014

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Sean Darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Trying to re-encode some VOB's, I read in the FAQ that:
>
> "A few multimedia containers (MPEG-1, MPEG-2 PS, DV) allow to concatenate
> video by merely concatenating the files containing them."

My standard flow is to rip the VOBs, then "cat path/to/vobs/*.VOB >
movie.vob" and then encode that. I see some errors come up, but it doesn't
seem to mess it up badly enough to be noticed (even paying attention to the
timecodes that say an issue was at).

[ac3 @ 0x1270ba0] new coupling strategy must be present in block 0
> [ac3 @ 0x1270ba0] error decoding the audio block
> [ac3 @ 0x1270ba0] new coupling strategy must be present in block 0
> [ac3 @ 0x1270ba0] error decoding the audio block
> [ac3 @ 0x1270ba0] new coupling strategy must be present in block 0
> [ac3 @ 0x1270ba0] error decoding the audio block
> [ac3 @ 0x1270ba0] new coupling strategy must be present in block 0
> [ac3 @ 0x1270ba0] error decoding the audio block
> [mpeg2video @ 0x125d300] sequence header damaged
> [ac3 @ 0x1270ba0] frame sync error
>

>From just reading some websites this morning, MP4 containers cannot do AC3
audio, so that might be your issue here. If you were wanting AC3 audio, try
the MKV container. I've never tried it though.

Steve