[FFmpeg-user] Brute-force decoding

Laurence Perkins (OE) lperkins at openeye.net
Fri May 30 23:42:20 CEST 2014

I've been asked to recover the contents of a disk full of video files
where the header information was stored separately from the video data.
Unfortunately the header files are not recoverable, although most of the
video files are.

Before I start trying to puzzle out how to have ffmpeg brute-force its
way through the possible combinations of codecs and settings, I figured
I'd ask if anybody here knows of extant tools for doing this.

Or, failing that, just advice on how to go about it in general is
appreciated.  Wrapping my head around all the parameters at once is
proving challenging...

LMP