[FFmpeg-user] How can I convert mpeg2 5.1 audio to ac3?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Nov 4 20:16:17 CET 2014

 <bluesky <at> caramail.com> writes:

> "Carl Eugen Hoyos" <cehoyos <at> ag.or.at> wrote:
>
> >> My computer is connected to my receiver via a
> >> S/PDIF (Toslink optical) cable
>
> > What does your receiver show
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know (expected) that MythTV and XBMC do not show
PLII. My receiver has a display and when digital
audio (as via S/PDIF) starts, it shows something
on this display.
While playing, I can switch the "Input mode" to
change between "Stereo" and "PLII".

> My receiver has options for THX, Dolby/DTS
> Surround, Stereo, and Direct.

PLII is (the successor of) Dolby Surround afaict.
Since Dolby Surround and DTS Surround are two
completely different things afaik, I am
surprised that this is the same option...

I would be surprised if the file is THX but I
don't know much about it, my receiver does not
support it (too cheap).
(From a very quick look, THX is unrelated:
"A common error is that THX is similar to
Dolby Surround.")

Carl Eugen