[FFmpeg-user] h264 file: mplayer plays it, but ffmpeg can't decode it

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Nov 18 22:57:13 CET 2014

Bryan Field-Elliot <bryanfieldelliot <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have a h264 file, which I obtained by capturing
> bytes streaming (mid-stream) from an IP camera.

You can convert your sample with:
$ ffmpeg -flags2 +showall -i vid.h264 vid.mp4
(MPlayer always sets showall to speed up seeking.)

Before I open a ticket:
Could you elaborate how (exactly) you captured
the stream? Is FFmpeg able to read frames
directly from the camera? Or does this also
need "-flags2 +showall"?

Thank you for the sample, Carl Eugen