[FFmpeg-user] What is the difference between versions of ffmpeg?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Oct 4 23:09:47 CEST 2014

Am 04.10.2014 um 22:45 schrieb skyscanner at gmx.ca:
> On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 22:11:18 +0200, "Reindl Harald" <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> Am 04.10.2014 um 21:58 schrieb skyscanner at gmx.ca:
>
>>> In my case, it's the whole thing about "git" that first mystifies me, and then the process of compiling from source. I know there are Linux users that do that, but I can only do it if there are very clear, explicit, line by line instructions that don't assume any prior knowledge on my part. Otherwise it's like handing me eggs, flour, and sugar and saying "bake a cake" - I would have no idea where to begin and the results are probably going to be a hot mess.
>
>> only because you refuse to learn
>
> Well let me put it this way - suppose I told you that before you were allowed to drive a car, you had to know how to tear down and rebuild an engine.  While that might be a useful skill, not everyone who drives a car wants to know anything about that.  But if you had that skill, perhaps you might be condescending toward mere drivers, just as you have been to me in your insulting reply.

there was no insulting intention

if someone needs a binary he can use it
if it is not available - well, build at your own or hire somebody

that is not insulting - that is the thruth

> I came to this list looking for help in USING ffmpeg, not in BUILDING ffmpeg.  I was under the impression that this list was for ffmpeg USERS, not developers.  Compiling software is something I have only had to do a handful of times in my life, and every time I have had to do it, the creators have been kind enough to provide explicit instructions of the type I mentioned in my previous message.  I have no desire to write or compile software generally, and at my age (I am in my 60's) it is difficult to pick up new skills.  I don't even feel entirely comfortable using the command line because I am always afraid I will break something, and I have done that before.  And even if I did figure out how to do it once, it would not be a skill I would retain, because I might not need to do it again for a few years, or maybe ever.

get rid of "I don't even feel entirely comfortable using the command
line because I am always afraid I will break something" because it is
wrong - with the commandline you at least have a chance to type
"history" and in case of seek help provide what you typed

cick on a button and you have no clue what happens behind the scenes and
if it does not end in a result you like nobody probably knows the state
of whatever to offer help

>> i stared at the same point in 2006 and now maintain production servers
>> while build most server RPMs on my own from source and a lot of other
>> technical stuff far away from where i started with Linux years ago
>
> Good for you.  You learned this stuff because it was useful to you in life and for your employment.  I doubt you would have put anywhere near that level of dedication into it if you had thought that it was something you might never need to know how to do again, unless you are just generally attracted to that sort of knowledge.  We all have our areas of interest, and building software isn't one of mine, any more than getting under the hood of a car and fixing a motor.

no, i learned that stuff because i was interested in it
otherwise i could have stayed at Windows

frankly i learned the whole IT stuff because i was interested and as i
wnet to a shop to buy my first PC the only reaon was "can i burn a Audio
CD with only the tracks i want in the order i want to play it in my car"

that i later switched to IT as daily job was nothing but play around and
stay interested

> I don't know if you are a developer of this project or just a user or somewhere in between, but I certainly hope your views don't represent those of the ffmpeg development team.

as it is the users list i am just a user

> Anyway can we please just drop the insults?

again: there was no insult at all

* the project don't offer any binary
* so there is no binary download
* your question was "where to get a binary"
* the answer is: whereever someone has taken the source, built one
   offered the result for others

> (And if by some chance this post gets me banned from the mailing list, I just want to say thank you to all who have helped me, it was much appreciated!)

no need to consider get banned by speaking frank - hopefully