[FFmpeg-user] What is the difference between versions of ffmpeg?

skyscanner at gmx.ca skyscanner at gmx.ca
Sat Oct 4 23:48:25 CEST 2014

On Sat, 4 Oct 2014 22:57:32 +0200, "francesco scaglione" <scaglione.francesco at neuf.fr> wrote:

> I can assure you that following these instructions it is quite simple to compile a recent version of FFmpeg, even without experience (it was my case):
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu

That would be true except for this:

"Compilation & Installation

You can compile ffmpeg to your liking. If you do not require certain encoders you may skip the relevant section and then remove the appropriate ./configure option in FFmpeg. For example, if libopus is not needed, then skip that section and then remove --enable-libopus from the Install FFmpeg section."

Now if only they would follow that up by saying, "If you don't know which encoders you need or how to use the configuration options, here is how to build a 'standard' version of ffmpeg...", then this page might actually be useful.  The problem is that when you offer a lot of options, people such as myself that have no clue what those options do get lost really fast.  All I want and need is a standard version that will work.

However, if someone has any idea of what they actually want and need, that seems like a pretty thorough guide.

Basically, however, the question that I think needs to be asked is this:

If I go to the download page and it sends me to http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ and I add the repository suggested (deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org wheezy main non-free) to my /etc/apt/sources.list, why is it supplying an old version?

This, I think, is the crux of the matter.  Had I received a current version from that source, we would have not had any of this discussion.