[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg licensing

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Oct 10 19:58:43 CEST 2014

Matus Novak <matusnov <at> gmail.com> writes:

> My question is, if I compile shared FFmpeg libraries
> *without* parameters "--enable-gpl" and "--enable-nonfree"
> to make it LGPL compatible, then am I legally allowed to
> make DDLs available on framework`s git repository?

I am not sure if I understand the question:
(I am not a native speaker.)

If you compile FFmpeg with --enable-nonfree, you are not
allowed to distribute the resulting binaries. If you
compile with --enable-gpl, you are allowed to distribute
the binaries if you comply with the rules of the GPL.
If you use neither --enable-nonfree nor --enable-gpl,
you may distribute the resulting binaries under the
rules of the LGPL.
We have written a page that makes it - in our opinion -
easy to check if you follow all LGPL requirements:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/legal.html

> If I understood right, I also need to make the source
> code available on same repository from which DLLs were
> compiled?

You have to make sure that users can (easily) download
the exact sources that you used to compile the binaries
based on FFmpeg source code (the "DLLs").
I am not sure what you mean with "same repository": If
your binaries are not typically downloaded through a
web browser (but through an installer program), then it
is important that your users may click on a link to the
source code. I believe we do explain this on our
checklist: I suspect you somewhere (on a webpage) provide
a link that will be used by the installation program.
Just put a link to the source code next to the link to
the app. (And you should of course mention that the
source code is not needed to run your app.)
(And we believe that it makes sense to host the binaries
and the source code on the same server, but this is of
course no requirement, the requirement is that users may
download the sources if they want to do AND that they
can switch the "DLLs" you provided with DLLs they
compiled themselves.

All the above is relevant no matter if the executable
that calls the "DLLs" is licensed under LGPL or is
proprietary and it makes no difference how much you
charge for the executable.

Don't forget that you also have to tell your users about
FFmpeg and the LGPL.

I am not a lawyer, it may be necessary that you consult
your lawyer.

Carl Eugen