[FFmpeg-user] MP3 enconding bitrate

Paulo Fidalgo paulo.fidalgo.pt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 09:30:07 CEST 2014

OK,

I understand your point, but encoding with lame, instead of ffmpeg
results in a file which don't pass the 320 Kbps. Also in the
documentation we have a table of equivalence between ffmpeg and lame
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/MP3

which will induce the users in error because those settings are not
really equivalent.

Also if I lower the quality setting I'll have the problem anyway...

For reference there is a note in wikipedia in bitrate section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3

/Non-standard bit rates up to 640 kbit/s can be achieved with the //LAME
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAME>//encoder and the freeformat option,
although few MP3 players can play those files. According to the ISO
standard, decoders are only required to be able to decode streams up to
320 kbit/s//^<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#cite_note-50> //
/

I think I will open a  bug report and try to listen the developers
opinion on the subject.

Best regards,

Paulo Fidalgo