[FFmpeg-user] Automatic encoding of .ts files gives an inexplicable delay after muxing

marsupilami streamin at elitemail.org
Thu Oct 30 09:34:17 CET 2014

Now I've had some time to test this issue more extensively and you're right,
the header really is there. However after encoding I'm using mkvmerge to cut
(split) the file so only the parts I want will be there in the final mkv.
This all condenses down to one problem:

mkvmerge (as well as ffmpeg) in cutting mode does not read all headers that
are included in the mkv file and includes them in the cut mkv file - so the
encoding settings header gets lost if I'm not cutting from the beginning
from the file but from somewhere in let's say the first quarter. It seems
somewhat logical that the two tools don't do that, but it's very unfortunate
for me since I would like to preserve this header in the final mkv file that
comes out after cutting.

I've read some man pages and tested extracting the tags of the uncut file
(where the "encoding settings" header is still intact) with mkvextract, but
unfortunately it doesn't show it - neither does mkvinfo. Only mediainfo
shows the "encoding settings" tag in the uncut file.

Any ideas how I could extract this tag somehow from the uncut file and put
it back into the cut file (preferrably with ffmpeg)?