[FFmpeg-user] Using FFmpeg with LGPL license

Victor Elizondo velizondo at growthaccelerationpartners.com
Tue Sep 2 00:02:01 CEST 2014

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Victor Elizondo <velizondo <at> growthaccelerationpartners.com> writes:
>
> > I am developing three pieces of software; an
> > iOS App, an Android app and a Website. I need
> > to user FFmpeg to encode and decode video and
> > audio. Could you provide me a checklist to
> > comply your LGPL license and successfully
> > distribute my app in the Apple App Store and
> > Google Play Store.
>
> What's wrong with http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html ?
>
> If you will not use dynamic linking, don't
> forget to provide object files of your
> (proprietary) software for download together
> with the FFmpeg source you used: Make sure
> a user with the appropriate toolchain is
> able to change the FFmpeg source code that
> you used, can compile FFmpeg and (re-) link
> the whole application.

Apple App Store neither Google Play Store allow Dynamic Linking. I know
TuneIn Radio uses FFmpeg as well, but they do not provide source code to
download. I want to do the same as TuneIn Radio does. What do I have to do?
I don't plan to modify FFmpeg, just use it. What I can do is provide the
FFmpeg source code I use, but I cannot provide object files of my compiled
app, so no re-linking of my app. It's a copyright app in those App stores
that's should not be copied.