[FFmpeg-user] Using FFmpeg with LGPL license

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Sep 2 01:41:02 CEST 2014

Victor Elizondo <velizondo <at> growthaccelerationpartners.com> writes:

> Apple App Store neither Google Play Store allow
> Dynamic Linking.

(Do you agree that this has nothing to do with
FFmpeg?)
Please understand that the LGPL allows both static
and dynamic linking. In both cases, in a simplified
wording, you have to make sure that a user can take
the (FFmpeg) source code, modify it, compile it and
can use the newly compiled library with your
proprietary application. In case of static linking
this means that you have to provide object files.

> I know TuneIn Radio uses FFmpeg as well, but they
> do not provide source code to download. I want to
> do the same as TuneIn Radio does. What do I have
> to do?

If this application distributes binaries based on
FFmpeg source code without FFmpeg source code, they
are copyright violators.
Do you want to be a copyright violator?

> I don't plan to modify FFmpeg, just use it. What
> I can do is provide the FFmpeg source code I use,
> but I cannot provide object files of my compiled
> app, so no re-linking of my app. It's a copyright
> app in those App stores that's should not be copied.

I am not a lawyer but I suspect in case of a lawsuit
it will make a difference that you asked here what
you have to do, that I explained it and that you
announced publicly that you not planning to follow
the conditions of the software license.

Carl Eugen