[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg -h full omits some of the decoders

Steve Kenton skenton at ou.edu
Tue Sep 2 05:18:56 CEST 2014

I just built ffmpeg from git and generated a file containing the output
of 'ffmpeg -h full' to peruse.
  -h full -- print all options (including all format and codec specific
options, very long)

ffmpeg version 2.3.git Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the FFmpeg developers
   built on Sep  1 2014 21:17:27 with gcc 4.8 (Ubuntu/Linaro
4.8.1-10ubuntu9)
   configuration: --prefix=/home/steve/ffmpeg_build
--extra-cflags=-I/home/steve/ffmpeg_build/include
--extra-ldflags=-L/home/steve/ffmpeg_build/lib --bindir=/home/steve/bin
--enable-gpl --enable-libass --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libfreetype
--enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libtheora
--enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-nonfree
--enable-x11grab

I notice that some of the decoders I use such as rawvideo and pcm_s16le
are missing from that file? The demuxer/format rawvideo and s16le are
documented in both 'ffmpeg -h full' and 'ffmpeg -formats' but the
codec/decoders are not mentioned in 'ffmpeg -h full' but are in 'ffmpeg
-decoders'. I realize that there is a lot of confusion between demuxers
and decoders and the similar names probably make it worse and ffmpeg
seems to make sane choices and propagate options to the right place so
'the right thing' happens in most cases. Being a stickler for detail I'd
rather 'dot the I' and 'cross the t' myself when possible.

So, does anyone know, are the omissions minor bugs or the result of some
sort of policy or indication of development direction?

Thanks - Steve Kenton