[FFmpeg-user] VDA decoding doesn't work, and the document is so terrible!

Shi Yan billconan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 22:16:42 CEST 2014

I'm trying to get VDA work with ffmpeg on Mac, and there is no document
other than the claim "it can use VDA."

There is no sample, no document, no anything!!

the only thing I could find is this,
http://libav-users.943685.n4.nabble.com/Libav-user-Hardware-accelerated-decoding-td4658452.html

AVCodec* aCodecVda = avcodec_find_decoder_by_name ("h264_vda");
avcodec_open2 (theCodecCtx, aCodecVda, NULL);

and this doesn't work at all, avcodec_open2 gives me kVDADecoderDecoderFailedErr

after looking at this example:

https://github.com/cylonbrain/VDADecoderCheck

and http://www.ffmpeg.org/doxygen/0.11/vda_8c-source.html

I realized that I need to pass kVDADecoderConfiguration_avcCData with
context->extraData.

what's avcCData? how do I get it? there is no document at all.

this is too frustrating!