[FFmpeg-user] Doing nothing with ffmpeg and that as fast as possible...

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Sep 10 18:43:43 CEST 2014

 <meino.cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:

> Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos <at> ag.or.at> [14-09-10 17:27]:
> >  <meino.cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
> >
> > > I will get an h264 compressed full hd (100p30) video
> > > stream with audio from STDIN and want to copy it
> > > untouched to hardisk with ffmpeg, but this as fast
> > > as possible (or in other words with the lowest
> > > possible CPU load)
> >
> > What's wrong with "cat - >file"?
> > Or redirecting STDIN to an output file?
>
> in principle: nothing :)
>
> But ffmpeg is "hardcoded" and the commandline is
> configurable with the application (internal stuff)
> I am using... :)

What I wanted to mention is that if your input stream
is a transport stream then "-vcodec copy -acodec copy
-f mpegts" likely doesn't do what you want, ie it is
not the same as "mplayer -dumpstream".
If you are able to ignore the output file, "-t 1" is
an example to speed the processing up.

Carl Eugen