[FFmpeg-user] Transcoding while capturing - incomplete frame error

Keith Johnson keith at xentrik.tv
Mon Sep 22 10:03:52 CEST 2014

Thanks for the reply, Carl. I'm relatively new to ffmpeg, and wasn't aware
that I could capture (H)DV directly. If that's the case I guess there is
probably a solution which involves pipes or tees. Basically what I'm trying
to do is capture from the camera and write two files at the same time - a
raw HDV file and a low-resolution proxy in some other format. In an ideal
world I'd quite like to be able to watch the camera live (or near-live) at
the same time via ffplay or mplayer.

I was probably incorrect in saying that ffmpeg crashes when reading the file
I'm capturing with dvgrab - it's just it catches up with the end of the file
and bombs out when there is no more data to read. Any suggestions for
alternative ways to accomplish this gratefully received.