[FFmpeg-user] [mp2] how to encode high-pitch audio to mp2 file?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Sep 25 13:46:19 CEST 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 17:42:46 +0800, linxs wrote:
> How can I use mp2 to encode high pitch audio?

Whether a 19 kHz tone is properly encoded or not certainly depends on
the implementation of the psychoacoutic model. The library twolame
(which is not the ffmpeg native implementation you're using!) seems to
have its lowpass somewhat below 19 kHz in some models:

http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=52056&view=findpost&p=467160

I couldn't find any proper documentation on that and don't care to read
the sources. Something similar is likely valid for ffmpeg's native mp2
encoder, even though it doesn't seem to support more than one model.
(The source says it doesn't even have one. ;-)) How and whether the
band around 19kHz is encoded I do not know. Perhaps not at all.

Moritz

P.S.: I don't have a dog for testing the resulting file. ;-) Audacity
      is nice though...