[FFmpeg-user] Dual Xeon VS Haswell-E, maximize fps

Ryan M rymerrick at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 18:36:39 CEST 2014

I am putting together hardware to encode a large and ever growing catalog
of video using ffmpeg/x264.  Much of the source video is 1080p ProResHQ.
Currently I have a box with a Haswell 4770k CPU which gets around 12-15
fps, I am of course looking to increase that as much as possible.

Trying to determine if getting the latest dual CPU Xeon (such as E5-2690
v3) setup is going to be worth the significant additional cost over the
best Haswell-E (Core i7-5960X).

I've read lots of articles/posts and it is not clear to me.  I know worth
is subjective but looking to know if there'll be significant increase in
fps using 2 Xeons.  I need to justify the $6-7k price tag.

Any insight/experience would be appreciated.

thanks
Ryan